We’re seeing them everywhere. Meal kits delivered to your door, ready to prepare. There are so many options you can choose from, including: vegetarian, gluten free, paleo, vegan, organic and so on. And since most companies offer your first box at a reduced price, I decided to try one. I settled on Home Chef since their meals seemed more suited to my family’s taste. There are times when I forget to take something out of the freezer to prepare for dinner, or I just want to try something new, so I thought this might be a good way to do it.
Bone-in Pork Chop with Candied Walnut Butter
This meal was excellent! We were very pleased with the results. And bonus, I was introduced to acorn squash which was very delicious.
Four Cheese Baked Ziti
This dish was very good. I liked the addition of spinach in the pasta. It made me feel better that there was a healthy element to it. Granted, I could have easily made this myself, but adding the spinach and different variety of cheeses was new to me so overall I was happy about this recipe and the results.
Mongolian Beef with Ribeye Steak
This dish was delicious!! I have to admit I was a little skeptical when I was preparing it. It looked like it might be dry, and I had no idea how Chinese broccoli would taste. It looked like green aluminum foil pieces when I took it out of the oven. But when it was incorporated into the dish, it was a perfect fit. One of my favorite meals.
Four Cheese Baked Ziti contents:
- Just about everything you need to prepare a meal in less than an hour at your fingertips. Convenient.
- Discovered new recipes that we enjoyed, including food items that I may never have tried otherwise.
- Ability to suspend shipments at will. If you don’t like meal choices for a particular week you can skip that week.
- Meal options are displayed on the website weeks in advance so you can plan out your deliveries accordingly.
- Decent meal variety.
- Good customer Service.
- Thoroughly satisfied with only about half of the meals I prepared.
- Expensive—all things considered.
- Some meals were too labor intensive; too many steps, pots and pans.
- A massive amount of packaging material!!
- Limited time period to prepare meals once received.
Overall, my experience with Home Chef was pretty good. I don’t regret trying them out. I had originally cancelled after my first shipment but they gave me an incentive to give them another shot so I did. I will probably discontinue my membership though. The pros ultimately don’t outweigh the cons. I’ll let you know if I change my mind after I prepare my latest meals.
Regarding all of that packaging material from my first shipment, I repurposed some of it into a cat bed for Kit-Kat (a.k.a. Kitty-baby). He LOVES it!! All you need to add is an old t-shirt, pillowcase, and a few safety pins.
I actually wound up double padding it so it’s really soft inside. It can be washed easily so that’s a plus. Just remove the t-shirt and pillowcase and wash them. To give you an idea of the actual size, Kitty-baby is about 12 pounds.
So tell me, have you tried any of these home meal delivery kits? What was your experience like? If you haven’t tried one, would you? I’d love to hear your thoughts.