- Title: The Belle of Belgrave Square
- Series: Belles of London (Book 2)
- Author: Mimi Matthews
- Genre: Historical Romance, Historical Fiction
- Publisher: Berkley Romance (October 11, 2022)
- Length: 432 pages
- Format: Trade paperback, eBook, & audiobook
- ISBN: 978-0593337158
- Tour Dates: October 3 – 23, 2022
A BookBub Best Romance of 2022
A London heiress rides out to the wilds of the English countryside to honor a marriage of convenience with a mysterious and reclusive stranger.
Tall, dark, and dour, the notorious Captain Jasper Blunt was once hailed a military hero, but tales abound of his bastard children and his haunted estate in Yorkshire. What he requires now is a rich wife to ornament his isolated ruin, and he has his sights set on the enchanting Julia Wychwood.
For Julia, an incurable romantic cursed with a crippling social anxiety, navigating a London ballroom is absolute torture. The only time Julia feels any degree of confidence is when she’s on her horse. Unfortunately, a young lady can’t spend the whole of her life in the saddle, so Julia makes an impetuous decision to take her future by the reins—she proposes to Captain Blunt.
In exchange for her dowry and her hand, Jasper must promise to grant her freedom to do as she pleases. To ride—and to read—as much as she likes without masculine interference. He readily agrees to her conditions, with one provision of his own: Julia is forbidden from going into the tower rooms of his estate and snooping around his affairs. But the more she learns of the beastly former hero, the more intrigued she becomes…
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 – 4.5 stars
A shy heiress who is introverted, socially awkward, prone to anxiety attacks and a lover of books? Yes, please. 👍🏽🙌🏽🙋🏽♀️
Julia Wychwood is not your typical heiress. She prefers books to balls and horse riding to musicales. She scarcely has time for either indulgence since these pastimes interfere with securing a husband, as her maid continually reminds her. And Julia’s sickly father wants to see her married off to an earl who lives in the vicinity of their home at Belgrave Square. This proximity will enable Julia to more readily provide care for her parents. The prospect is unthinkable to Julia, especially since Lord Gresham is disagreeable in every way. The only way out of her predicament is to marry a brute, Captain Jasper Blunt, the man whose reputation for being harsh and unyielding to his own soldiers precedes him. This is the same man Julia ran away from previously when being introduced to him at Lady Arundell’s ball. His prominently scarred face, along with her social anxiety got the best of her on that occasion. But since then it seems that Captain Blunt has come to her rescue during numerous unpleasant events. She can’t dispute his solicitousness towards her, even if he’s been forthcoming about his intentions to marry an heiress in order to fund the looming projects on his crumbling estate, Goldfinch Hall. If that weren’t enough, the man has three illegitimate children residing with him, and he possesses secrets that he refuses to divulge, even to a future wife. On the other hand, he is a book lover like herself. Ludicrous. It’s all too much to contemplate. But one more bloodletting session with the family doctor when Julia is simply feigning illness, just might kill her; along with continuing to live in a dark, dank home surrounded by her ailing parents with their real or imagined deteriorating health, mostly confined to their relative sickbeds, is too much to bear. What is Julia Wychwood to do?
The Belle of Belgrave Square was a delightful read. It’s full of dialogue-rich content that I enjoyed immensely. Julia Wychwood is a unique heiress with character traits I could readily identify with which made her relatable and easily likable. I applauded her development of courage and strength when faced with unimaginable challenges of which she had little to no experience in dealing with. This gave the story its engrossing quality. Captain Blunt is enigmatic and kept me guessing. Whenever I thought I had him figured out, new revelations had my mind pivoting in a different direction. He was a man of carefully concealed secrets. At times he was brooding and menacing, and at other times he was gallant and kind. He was highly tolerable of Julia’s attachment to her books, which made me very happy.
The Belle of Belgrave Square is a glorious, satisfying read that I thoroughly enjoyed. I very highly recommend it.
Thank you, Austenprose and Berkley Romance, for a complimentary copy of The Belle of Belgrave Square. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
• “A grand cross-class romance, a twisty mystery, and emotional internal struggles combine to excellent effect…fans and new readers alike will root for this well-earned love story.”— Publishers Weekly(starred review)
• “[C]ombines deception, risk, and a resourceful heroine to create an intoxicating, suspenseful romance. Highly recommended.”— Library Journal (starred review)
• “If you’re a fan of Beauty and the Beast, this regency romance will rapidly become a new favorite of yours. Wallflower meets an infamous war hero in this fascinating and intriguing love story.”— BuzzFeed
• “Mimi Matthews never disappoints, with richly drawn characters and couples whose individual shortcomings become strengths, when paired together. In this Beauty and the Beast retelling, we get to root for two underdogs who get to rewrite their own stories.”— Jodi Picoult, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Wish You Were Here
USA Today bestselling author Mimi Matthews writes both historical nonfiction and award-winning proper Victorian romances. Her novels have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, Booklist, and Kirkus, and her articles have been featured on the Victorian Web, the Journal of Victorian Culture, and in syndication at BUST Magazine. In her other life, Mimi is an attorney. She resides in California with her family, which includes a retired Andalusian dressage horse, a Sheltie, and two Siamese cats.
VICTORIAN READING ROOM:
Join Mimi at her Victorian Reading Room Facebook Group for exclusive access as she shares her love of writing, historical romance, Victorian fashion, brooding heroes, independent heroines, and of course, her beloved pets!
READ AN EXCLSUIVE INTERVIEW WITH MIMI MATTHEWS:
Discover intriguing insights into The Belle of Belgrave Square and Mimi’s writing life in this exclusive interview at austenprose.com.
Giveaway period: October 3 – October 30
Terms & Conditions:
Giveaway hosted by Mimi Matthews. No Purchase Necessary. Entrants must be 18 years or older. Open to US residents only. All information will remain confidential and will not be sold or otherwise used, except to notify the winner and to facilitate postage of the book to the winner. Void where prohibited.
1 winner (selected at random by Rafflecopter) receives a paperback copy of The Belle of Belgrave Square, signed and annotated by the author with personal comments, underlining of her favorite lines, and other highlights by Mimi Matthews.
Giveaway is open from 12:01 am Pacific time 10/03/22 until 11:59pm Pacific time on 10/30/22.
The winner will be announced on Mimi’s blog on 10/31/22.
• Twitter handles: @MimiMatthewsEsq, @BerkleyRomance, @Austenprose
• Twitter hashtags: #TheBelleofBelgraveSquare, #HistoricalRomance, #NewBooks, #BookTwitter,#MimiMatthews, #BookTour, #AustenprosePR
• Instagram handles: @mmimatthewsesq, @berkleyromance, @austenprose
• Instagram hashtags: #TheBelleofBelgraveSquare, #HistoricalRomance, #NewBooks, #Bookstagram, #MimiMatthews, #BookTour, #AustenprosePR